SkyDemon Version History
This page details the significant changes made to all SkyDemon platform products from one version to the next. The release date given generally
corresponds to our PC and Android products; the release date for our iOS product may be slightly different due to Apple's approval process.
View changes for:
- Terrain shading and colours have been updated to look better across Europe (iOS, Android, PC)
This mostly affects our primary chart styles, SkyDemon Terrain and SkyDemon Ground Cover.
- A list of recent finds is kept in the Search window (iOS, Android)
This makes it quicker to locate things you successfully found recently.
- You can now tap the wind in What's Here to see winds aloft at all altitudes (iOS, Android)
Open the What's Here screen over a wind barb on the map to see more wind data.
- Improvements to graphical NOTAM depiction in Eastern Europe (iOS, Android, PC)
- The aircraft CG envelope can now be defined as a moment-mass graph (iOS, Android)
Previously the only option was to define it as a distance-from-datum-mass graph, but now you have the option to use the style from the aircraft PoH.
4 May 2023
- GFP file format is now included when you share a route, for Garmin GTN devices (iOS, Android)
- Virtual Radar has been updated so that while flying, more terrain below you is visible (iOS, Android)
This works together with the ability to resize virtual radar, so it can be enlarged to show more terrain as required.
- A sound and speech is now played if you lose the connection to your WiFi traffic receiver (iOS, Android, PC)
Previously, only the on-screen banner was shown.
30 Mar 2023
- Improvements to map drawing speed (iOS, Android, PC)
- Various minor user interface improvements (iOS, Android, PC)
25 Jan 2023
4 Oct 2022
- Mac support enhanced (iOS)
Previous versions of SkyDemon have worked on Mac M1 computers but not all features worked properly. In this version all features work, and macs are treated the same as PCs for licensing purposes.
- Weather animations updated (iOS, Android, PC)
We have replaced the old weather time slider with a simple Animate button. When animating, SkyDemon will loop through the previous three hours and the next hour, showing the wind, rainfall and flyable conditions applicable at those times.
- Nearby airfields offering an ATIS are now displayed in the Radio tab. (iOS, Android)
- Airspace highlighting updated (iOS, Android, PC)
When highlighting a piece of airspace from What's Here or the Warnings tab (among others) it is now more clearly brought to your attention.
24 May 2022
- Direct To Overhauled (iOS, Android)
Each airfield now has a mini diagram, summary of each runway and rotating arrow pointing to its relative bearing. We also now highlight airfields in green if you can likely glide to it from your current position.
- Waypoint Searches in Flight Sorted by Proximity (iOS, Android)
Sorting by proximity (rather than alphabetically, as in planning mode) helps you to find the most likely candidate fast when ATC advise you to route via a specific waypoint.
- Previous and Next Buttons in Logs (iOS, Android)
When viewing a flight log there are now Previous and Next buttons so you can cycle between logs without exiting the screen.
- Virtual Radar Empty Size Improved (iOS, Android)
Following on from our feature where you can resize virtual radar, the empty display (shown before you have planned a route) is now much thinner, leaving more map to explore.
- Route Export to KML (iOS)
When Sharing a planned route, it is now output in KML format alongside existing formats. This format is easily viewable in Google Earth which also includes a fly-through feature so you can simulate your planned flight against realistic scenery.
- SkyDemon is now translated into Hungarian (iOS, Android)
11 Apr 2022
22 Mar 2022
10 Mar 2022
- Forecast cloud thickness is now illustrated in virtual radar when Flyable Conditions is enabled (iOS, Android, PC)
Previously, only the cloud ceiling was graphically depicted. With our new data, you can see the whole extent of the forecast lowest layer of cloud.
- It is now possible to change the height of the virtual radar (iOS, Android)
To do this, slide your finger up and down in the left-hand margin of virtual radar.
- Frequency monitoring codes are detailed better in the Pilot Log and the Radio tab (iOS, Android, PC)
You'll see these shown with two lines, the first showing the callsign and frequency, and the second showing the squawk.
- UK Frequency monitoring codes are now shown in the What's Here screen (iOS, Android)
These are UK areas where monitoring a designated frequency and wearing a designated squawk is recommended.
- It is now possible to log takeoff manually from the Logging menu (iOS, Android)
This can be helpful for pilots whose aircraft characteristics mean that SkyDemon does not always log takeoff automatically
25 Jan 2022
- NOTAMs that are less relevant to your route have been moved to the end of the briefing (iOS, Android, PC)
A new General Information heading has been added to NOTAM briefings, and those bulletins that cover entire countries with general information are now under that heading, leaving more specific and relevant NOTAM towards the beginning.
- UK GAR and police notification guidance has been updated (iOS, Android, PC)
This guidance lets you know when submission of a GAR or notification of police is necessary for a flight arriving into, or departing from, the UK.
- Verbal alerts when a new METAR is received for an airfield of interest when flying (iOS, Android, PC)
Airfields of interest are those attached to your route in the Airfields tab. If a new METAR is received in flight, either via a mobile data connection or through a traffic receiver, a verbal alert will let you know.